Let's just say, we're big supporters of tacos over here at Awkward Essentials. Ready to upgrade your White People Taco Night? Check out our team's recipe for fish tacos.
Bonus: If it gets a little messy, Not Just Fucking Wipes come in handy! They are not JUST for fucking, after all.
For the tacos:
- 24 small corn tortillas
- 2 lb white fish (Tilapia or Mahi Mahi work great!)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium avocados, sliced
- 2 cups coleslaw mix (from a bag)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
Tangy Taco Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
How to Taco:
Add all slaw ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate to let the flavors mingle while you prepare the fish.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner. In a small bowl, combine the seasonings: 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Pat fish dry and evenly sprinkle seasoning mix over both sides of the fish.
- Lightly drizzle fish with olive oil and dot each piece with butter. Bake at 375 for 20-25 min. For crispier edges, broil for 3-5 minutes at the end.
- Combine all taco sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- When ready to assemble, warm both sides of the tortillas quickly on a large dry skillet over medium heat
- To assemble, start with pieces of fish, top with slaw and sliced avocado. Drizzle taco sauce on top and serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over.